Thursday, April 9, 2009

Higher Sciences: TV On the Radio



Every now and then a band comes along and challenges everything you thought you knew about music. The Brooklyn-based post-punk alt-rock band TV On the Radio is an ultra-magnetic force to be reckoned with. I discovered the band through my best friend Maurice a couple years ago. I was not prepared for their sonically distorted brilliance when I first heard them on their debut Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes. But by the time their second album was released, Return of Cookie Mountain, I was a fan. Now on their latest album, Dear Science, I am in love.

Dear Science is an imaginative, noisy dreamscape of punk, funk, rock and dirty soul. The band that can fuse together the strange with the beautiful so effortlessly has created their most mind-blowing collection to date. Their style is always complex but hypnotic. There’s dark sentiment, violently sensual musical compositions and vocals that haunt, distort, and sometimes soothe--just the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment