Thursday, April 9, 2009

Reunited and It Feels So Good: No Doubt Is Back!



I was thrilled to learn yesterday that my favorite band No Doubt had reunited and their delicious new single "Stand & Deliver" had been leaked. Ever since their release of Tragic Kingdom when I was in high school, I have been an obsessive fan of their music--how can anyone resist their brand of funky, ska rock, reggae-tinged, alternative grooves laced with hip hop edge and appeal? And how could anyone not love laser-hot front woman Gwen Stefani's spunky persona that's a mash-up of Madonna, Cyndy Lauper, and Blondie's Debby Harry. Definitely making her one of the coolest white chicks on the planet--even Chris Rock thinks so! I mean I was just transfixed the first time I saw Gwen in the "Just A Girl" video and apparently so were 15 million others because that's how many copies of Tragic Kingdom were sold.

Tragic Kingdom was brilliant and the fierce ballad "Don't Speak" had even the hardest thugs thinking they could sing. Face it, everyone thinks they can sing that song! I equally loved their following album, Return of Saturn which was criminally underrated in my opinion. It was just so freakin' hypnotic. After the solid Rock Steady album, Gwen released two blazing solo albums and explored all that potential we knew she had.

So I am very excited for what's in store with this new album. Wow. Is this me actually anticipating an album again? Damn. I almost forgot how good that feels.

1 comment:

  1. The last time I anticipated an album was Christina Aguilera's "Back to Basics". Yes, I've been a fan since "Genie in a Bottle"! Gwen Stefani is pretty damn cool, though. I may have to steal the CD from you when you buy it...

    ReplyDelete