Monday, February 1, 2010

The Evolution of the Grammys?




Apologies for my disappearance for the past eight months! But, you know, life gets in the way.


What better way to return than with something to actually say. The Grammys this year truly reflected the sagging state of popular music. I'm not saying the show was bad, it was actually this year semi- entertaining--with a major upset win for Taylor Swift in the prestigious Album of the Year category--but the show was simply a tool for appealing to kids. It felt like a dressed-up VMA awards. There were excessive performances and very little award-handing-out.

But some of the performances were impressive and exciting. The moment that stayed with me most was P!nk's beautiful and moving performance of "Glitter In the Air." She was show-stopping in a very poetic way. It was quite enthralling. She totally elevated the show from that point on.

I also enjoyed Lady Gaga's opening with Elton John. How much fun was that? Lady Gaga never ceases to amaze me and she's endlessly creative and exciting to watch. Beyonce's performance seemed to begin as a typical Beyonce performance, i.e. sassy stance and hair blowing from the invisible fans--but when her impassioned "If I Was a Boy" paid homage to Alanis Morisette's killer "You Oughta Know"-- I was captivated. Actually, I was hoping Alanis would make an appearance.

Michael Jackson's moving tribute featuring Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Smokey Robinson, Celine Dion, and Carried Underwood was also soul-stirring. Reminding us of a music legend and an era that was definitely gone too soon.

There was also Maxwell and Roberta Flack with a charming performance. Drake, Eminem, and Lil Wayne moved the crowd with their hypnotic, crowd-pleasing, majorly edited performance (I literally thought my TV lost sound for thirty seconds). And who can forget the upsets? Taylor Swift appeared just as surprised as the audience winning the night's top award Album of Year. And although Taylor is sweet, I sometimes wonder how much "the Kanye West effect" has had on her career. Maybe that's a different post all together.

So goodbye to the six hour award show--which actually gave out awards!--and say hello, to revamped, MTV ready glitz fest which only lasted 3 and half hours--thankfully. At the end of the show, I truly felt a void, something was missing. Something was totally absent. Perhaps despite a few nice little moments, nothing actually quite came to together to make the night truly magical. An evolution? I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment