Monday, February 1, 2010

They Tried to Make Me Go to Rehab: Weeds Season 5 DVD




Since I don't have Showtime or HBO, it takes me awhile to catch up on all my favorite shows. "Weeds" being one of them. "Weeds" is Showtime's daring little dark comedy series about a widowed mother of two sons who decides to become a pot dealer after the sudden death of her husband. During the first two dynamic seasons of the show--I was hooked, addicted you could even say. I felt the show so brilliantly balanced dark humor and the inner working emotional relationships between the family. Mary Louise Parker was perfectly cast as mother hen Nancy Botwin and I totally loved the ballsiness of her character trying to earn her place in the drug world. The beauty of the show was that as Nancy became more involved in the world of drugs and crime, the show became darker--illuminating the tangled, corrupt, and merciless messiness that such a life can bring--how it affects and infects a family--especially the lives of her sons. By season 3, I felt the show was starting to lose footing and focus. Season 4 was exciting because it took Nancy and her clan into a whole 'nother direction. Giving the show added dimension. But when season 5 arrived by way of Netflix my excitement started to wane. Yes, the show is still quite entertaining and the characters quite brutally funny--but I feel the writers are uncertain of where the show is going and who exactly Nancy is becoming. The season ended on a jaw-dropping note, as it does every season but I wasn't compelled. I wasn't all that excited either for the next season. Sadly, my addiction seems to be wearing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment